To address, educate, coordinate and support writing that acknowledges and documents the recognition of women and their contribution to the history, culture and growth of the American West; to preserve the historical importance through writing and other literary skills available through publishing and the use of seminars, meetings, newsletters, conventions, competitions, and other communications tools.
News from Women Writing the West:
The 2020 Annual Conference, scheduled for October 15 – 18, has been changed to an online format. Complete information about the 26th Annual Conference is available on the Conference page.
Periodically, WWW sends all-member emails that are filled with noteworthy information. Since WWW communicates with its members exclusively through email, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts/safe-sender/whitelist, or whatever method you use to ensure inbox delivery of WWW emails. Additionally, for your convenience these emails may be accessed on the WomenWritingtheWest.org Members Only page by clicking on “Recent WWW Member Emails.”
WWW is a supportive and welcoming community of writers and other writing professionals who share a passion for the stories of the Women’s West, and will happily answer questions, lend their expertise, and will sympathize, motivate and celebrate with you on your writing journey.
An annual conference featuring respected writers, agents, publishers and other book professionals, plus camaraderie and just plain fun. Past locations include Albuquerque, Denver, Seattle and Tucson.
The annual WILLA Literary Awards (open to anyone), the DOWNING Journalism Award (open to anyone) and the LAURA Short Fiction Awards (open to members only) and LAURA Journal.
An annual Catalog of Members’ Books, distributed to libraries, bookstores, and handed out at major book festivals. Our marketing efforts can greatly extend your own.
A way to connect with other writers of the Women’s West through our active online community,
including the WWW email group, Facebook page, Twitter feed, and blog. Get answers to questions about research, writing, promotion, marketing, and giving talks and presentations. Learn how other writers work and keep up with publishing industry news. Find support, encouragement and inspiration in a welcoming setting.
A speakers’ bureau and links to members’ websites. A blog featuring writing by members on the Women’s West, along with member news.
Featuring respected writers, agents, publishers and other book professionals, plus camaraderie and just plain fun. Past locations include Albuquerque, Denver, Seattle and Tucson.
Conference discounts, Members Only section includes Member Directory, link to your website, and more. Also, Social Media links and email group.
Over 4,000 printed each year to help promote members’ works. This dynamic and professional catalog is recognized for the quality of books it contains. One of the best marketing values in the industry!
GET THE MOST FROM YOUR WWW MEMBERSHIP
• Participate in the online community: JOIN the private member-only email group, SHARE your writing news through the member-only Facebook page, public Facebook page, and the WWW Blog, CONTRIBUTE to other WWW Social Media via TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST, and join a WWW member-facilitated CRITIQUE GROUP.
• Attend the annual conference to meet face to face, talk with agents and publishers, and be inspired by speakers and panels.
• Advertise your books and your work in the annual catalog.
• Enter your books in the WILLA Literary Awards, your short stories in the LAURA Short Fiction Awards and your nonfiction published articles in The DOWNING Journalism Awards.
• Sign up for the speakers’ bureau and a link to your website.
• Join other members in your area for organized gatherings or simply meet for coffee.
• Volunteer to help—learn new skills and make friends.
• And have fun!